April 7, 2010

A Brush with Alexander McQueen

After a suave casting at the Meat Packing District, I decided to make a quick stop at Edris Hair Salon since it was right around the corner. I wanted to stop by to say hi to Edris, one of the salon owners and a few other workers. I also thought of making an appointment to get a haircut and treat myself to a professional manicure and pedicure. The last time I indulged was such a long time ago.


When I got in the building, I saw two girls making their way into the elevator. I quickly ran to catch it. It was not easy running with high platform heels on. My feet were already killing me after walking around Manhattan all day!


The elevator bell dinged signaling the third floor so I got off. To my surprise, the lights were not on and there was no one in sight. The place was completely empty. I looked around pretty confused and then I realized the salon must be closed. Conveniently, the elevator door was still opened and luckily those two girls were still in there. One politely asked, "Are you looking for the Alexander McQueen casting?"


My heart skipped a beat! With not a moment to lose, I quickly replied "Uh-uh-uh, yes!" So I jumped right back in the elevator with the girls and headed for a casting that I was totally clueless about!


While in the elevator, I had the chance to get a better look at the girls and realized that they were workers for the Alexander McQueen Label. I became nervous and thought to myself, “What am I doing? What if this is just a Request casting?” (Request casting is when the client wants to see the model in person after having seen their portfolio)


We got to the fourth floor and as we walked down the long and dim hallway, I became even more nervous, realizing that I might make a fool out of myself. I felt butterflies in my stomach and my palms felt slightly damp.


The girls were quiet. No one spoke. We ended up in front of a glass door marked Alexander McQueen. As one of the girls was opening the door, a feeling of exhilaration came over me  and I thought, "This is it! I don't have to wait around for my agency to find me jobs. This is an opportunity that I can’t blow! I don't care if I look stupid. This is the only chance the client will see me!"


As I walked in the door, I saw a very tall and young Caucasian model wearing a beautiful red satin evening gown. She walked toward a group of people who I assumed were the clients. At first, I just stood there and looked around a little. Then a guy approached me and smiled. He told me to wait in the hallway because the clients were seeing only one model at a time. I was a little confused because as far as I knew, I was the only other model there.


The excitement quickly changed back to nervousness. I decided to wait around for another five minutes. Then I called my booker and asked if he had any idea about the casting. I wanted to know if it was a request or walk in. But my booker knew nothing about it. I was indecisive. I really wanted to stay to see what would come out of it but I felt wrong being there. I needed a second opinion so I asked my booker and he suggested that I leave and explained that it wasn’t professional to appear without invitation. I was bummed. Well, I needed a second opinion and that was my answer so I did just that and reluctantly left.


I still fuss about it. I wonder if what I did was missed out on a once in a lifetime opportunity or just saved myself from total humiliation...


xo
Eyen

No comments:

Post a Comment